Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

November 30, 2008

Paul Owns the Sabre: Carrying the torch with art



By Brenda Norrell
Censored News

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Paintings by Paul Owns the Sabre, Lakota from Cheyenne River, S.D., went on display Sunday at the Intertribal Friendship House in Oakland, Calif.

Owns the Sabre spoke on the cultural genocide underway in the United States and the horror of boarding schools for Indian people.

Owns the Sabre said he will hold a special giveaway and give all his paintings away, as they were not done for money. He encouraged Indian youths to learn their songs and their language, and to do their art. 

The reception included a meal of buffalo stew and fry bread and songs by the All Nation Singers.

Among the guests were Long Walkers Harry, Aisyln, Tomas and Brenda, who accompanied Owns the Sabre on the Longest Walk northern route across America in 2008. 

In a tribute to Owns the Sabre, it was pointed out that he had undertaken a lifetime of walks and runs across America. The show of paintings continues through

Read more about Paul, his travels and art at Censored News, and watch the video below of his art show.

Video: Paul united with his mother in Eads, Colorado, on the walk:
 
Dec. 13. Photo Brenda Norrell
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good work paul your mohawk friend

day_tripper_artist said...

I own 2 of his pieces. Love his work.

Owns- the - sabre Ute said...

Would love to hear your story of him. I'm his niece carol. His sister was my mom. Karen.

Censored News, publisher Brenda Norrell said...

Thanks for commenting! Here's more about Paul, the walks and his art. I've updated the article with another link. We crossed the continent with him and the other walkers on the Longest Walk northern route in 2008. Govinda Dalton and I were broadcasting live on the Earthcycles radio bus, Longest Walk Talk radio. It was very moving, when his mother visited the walk in Colorado. Later, at Paul's art show in Oakland, I asked his permission to photograph and take this video. He said he would be giving all his artwork away. The last time I talked with him, he was taking the train home to Cheyenne River for Ceremony. Thanks for asking. -- Brenda Norrell.

Owns- the - sabre Ute said...

Thank you so much Brenda. Uncle always had a story and still leaves a legacy of things. But unfortunately we lost my mom last year to covid and sars. I felt so good to hear this from you. My mom took it hard when he left. She would say she was last of the boarding school stories and how she got here to Colorado after all that. That picture of my grandma was the first time they seem each other after a horrible fight they had when he left yup san Francisco. But he always kept in touch with my mom. They were close. But even if you ever need to know anything more admit him I wild love to share. Sad thing is I lost my mom and ended up living in a motel and have my oldest daughter with me and she was living with my mom but unfortunately we had to have her memorial and other things and we are waiting on probates to go threw and taking uncle recordings and staying add staffs anddrums everywhere we go like gold. With my mom's she's and some of uncle and grandmas. This has never happen to us. People say just sell some of his stuff or the stories behind there journey to eat. But there journey is worth more top me than money. So we continue in this motel tell we get back on our feet. But just hearing words from you bright back a feeling of things are going to be okay. Thank you again
Merry Christmas.

Owns- the - sabre Ute said...

Sorry my writing is not good. But thank you